Localization is the process of customizing your application for a given culture and locale. The .NET framework offers the following namespaces and classes to facilitate the localization.
- System.Globalization (The System.Globalization namespace contains classes that define culture-related information, including the language, the country/region, the calendars in use, the format patterns for dates, currency, and numbers, and the sort order for strings)
- CutureInfo Provides information about a specific culture.
- The System.Resources namespace provides classes and interfaces that allow developers to create, store, and manage various culture-specific resources used in an application.
In this article, I will examine how to localize ASP.net MVC application using existing .net framework. To create a new MVC project, see ASP.net MVC application structure. Now, i will create a App_GlobalResources folder that will have the application resource files. To create a resource file in App_GlobalResources folder, follow these steps.
- Right-click your project –> Add –> Add ASP.NET Folder –> App_GlobalResources
- Right-click App_GlobalResources –> Add –> New Item –> Resources file
I will create two resource files English and French respectively. Now, I will change the "Access Modifier" settings to "Public" as shown below.
Now i can access the resource setting in a strongly typed as shown below in my view.
The easiest way to determine the visitor's preferred culture is to add culture="auto" and uiCulture="auto" in web.config as shown below.
<globalization culture="auto" uiCulture="auto"/>
However, this approach will not work when rendering a view using different view engine or client setting is invalid. so i will assign the given culture in a global.asax as shown below.
protected void Application_BeginRequest(object sender, EventArgs e)
CultureInfo culture = new CultureInfo("fr-CA");
Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentCulture = culture;
Thread.CurrentThread.CurrentUICulture = culture;
This will make sure that the current thread will apply the given culture. Now i will run the project and it will render a view as shown below.
In this article, we examined localize ASP.net MVC application using existing .net framework. To download the complete source code, please visit http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/Localizing_ASP_NET_MVC.aspx.